2.16.2013

Valentine's Day Breakfast


I can take or leave French toast a lot of the time, but now that I've perfected it...I can't get enough. The key to good french toast is day-old Challah. French Toast is breakfast simplicity.  A little bread, some eggs and milk and in a snap you can pull together a delicious breakfast in no time. Which works out great because it's my husband's favorite. What better way than to surprise him with breakfast of Valentine's Day. Although we're not really big on the holiday because we spoil each other year round. I still try to do a little something. =)
 
This is my standard recipe, the one I love and come back to again and again. It originated with Alton Brown, but I have changed it over the years to accommodate my needs. The two biggest changes are that I add vanilla, cinnamon and a few other things.

Ingredients:
Day Old Challah Bread
5 Large Eggs
1 Cup of Half & Half
1/4 Cup of Vanilla Creamer 
1/2Teaspoon of Cinnamon Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt
Maple Syrup

Directions:
Preheat oven to 250°F. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, creamer, vanilla and spices until smooth and creamy. 
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Working with 4 or 5 slices at a time, dip challah in egg mixture, turning to coat thoroughly, then gently shake free of any excess. Arrange challah in skillet in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until deep golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a large baking sheet as done and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining butter, challah and egg mixture.  Serve Immediately.




 

Enjoy! 

Happy Eating!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment